The idea for Christmas in October was birthed in the late 1970s through the compassion of the Women’s Home and Foreign Mission Society to communicate their love and gratitude to those serving, past and present, in our denominational Department of World Outreach. Each year, a bulletin insert is prepared for the purpose of highlighting this campaign and focusing on one of our present workers on the field. All of our Advent Christian churches receive these inserts and are encouraged to become a partner in this worthy cause. Through the past 40 years, this fund, raised in October and given in December, has been a blessing to so many who have given so much in the service of our Lord.
Thank you for your past involvement in this program. This is a great example of the success of “team work,” and your participation in raising these funds AND in promoting this cause in your local circle, church, conference and region is appreciated.
Each year, we receive numerous hand-written “thank you” notes from the money sent with our Christmas In October program. The following are actual quotes from the heart of those sentiments followed by some pictures of those who receive this gift of love:
- "Thank you for the Christmas gift of money. It was a big help in getting some much-needed dental work done. I am humbled and blessed by the love, prayers and support you have given me for so many years."
- "Please express my sincere thanks to all involved in Christmas in October. Your thoughtful gift really came at a time when I needed it."
- "A very special letter came in our mail this past week, along with all the solicitations and advertising that come almost every day. It was the letter with the Christmas in October check. We very much appreciate being remembered every year. We are blessed beyond measure, but our rent is subsidized every month based on our monthly income. This gift is very appreciated as we manage our budget."
- "We received the Christmas in October gift. People are generous each year, and we trust they are blessed in their giving. The gift to us means that we can do and/or purchase items that we would not feel we could afford with a limited income. God always blesses by meeting all our “needs.” Christmas in October money helps with our “desires.” Thank you."
"Thank you so much for the generous check, which I received recently — a lovely start to our Christmas season. And you all (in all our churches) have been so gracious. I thank you for all the prayers that have been offered up as sweet smelling incense for all the missionaries over the years as well as for the national workers in our many fields."
- "Thank you so much for the monetary gift and the reminder of the support and love for our family. Truly God has used you to encourage and advance his kingdom around the world and to touch us personally."